Monday, January 27, 2014

Kitchen Lighting {Our House}

I've got to make a decision about pendant lights in our kitchen!  But first, some backstory on the process...

The original kitchen had one center ceiling fixture and a light under the soffit above the sink.  By knocking out the wall that adjoined the living room to the kitchen, we knew we'd be gaining more light, but we still felt the kitchen would benefit from additional light sources.

You can't actually see the light sources in this photo, but it's the best I've got.


We opted to add five can lights and two pendants (you can see one possible pendant style up for consideration).  Two of the can lights light the "hallway" leading past the pantry/fridge into the dining room, two are centered in the middle of the kitchen, and one is directly over the sink.



Since we removed the soffit over the sink, I would have loved  to have done something like Edie from Life in Grace did in the space over the window:

source

or this:

source

However, knowing we will be selling our house in less than four years means I need to choose wisely what things I spend money on that I can't take with me!   Since I've yet to get that money tree growing in the backyard, I decided to save the money on those fixtures and just go with the solitary can light.  I'd like to eventually have a pretty roman shade mounted high over the window there…

kitchen by Urban Grace Interiors via Decorating Cents


So, this leaves me with needing to settle on pendants for above the peninsula.  You can see we have one option currently hanging and in need of a mate!  (My husband loves it when I have him hang things just to "try" them out :) )The lights will have to hang a little closer together than I would have liked due to where the electrician needed to wire them.




Here are some examples of different styles of pendant fixtures I love in some gorgeous spaces.

another gorgeous kitchen by Urban Grace
























source




source






























source
I love Brooke's pendants.  I hope she isn't cringing that I'm posting a picture of her kitchen before it was "done"!


source
source
source

source
source
Erika's {old} kitchen
So, here's what I'm thinking for our kitchen (and here's where I'd love your input!):

I could keep the existing brushed nickel pendant (and of course add a second next to it).  I like that the style is reminiscent of the much nicer ones featured in many of the kitchens I posted above.  At around $100/pop, I feel like it could be a good way to go.

My one concern is whether using this fixture just brings in too much brushed nickel.  My range hood, appliances, hardware, and stools are all a similar finish.  I love the idea of doing something with brass to add in a different finish in a warmer tone.  The problem is I haven't been able to find much in the way of attractive, inexpensive brass pendants.  Then again, it's not a large room by any means, so maybe sticking with the brushed nickel and keeping things consistent isn't such a bad idea.

I also can't decide if I think the scale of the current pendant is right.  Does it need to hang lower?  There are only a couple set options for length.

Here are a few other options I've been considering:


clockwise from top left: A, B, C, D

or I could just stick with what's up there right now.


Add caption

This fixture struck me, but I don't know if I'm brave enough to try it.










What do you think?  I would love to hear your ideas.  And if anyone has any sources for other inexpensive options, I'd love to hear!

6 comments:

  1. I love them all, sorry not much help! Can you post where you found the 2nd Urban Grace kitchen (where you can see a bit of the family room chair/couch)? I love it and I've never that kitchen featured anywhere before! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anne, it's looking so good! I do think there will be too much chrome if you keep the one you have up. I would either go with a darker, brushed/grayed version (shown in some of the pictures you included), or black. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not sure why you just didn't keep the original kitchen... HA, I kid. I think they will all look great! I have the bottom left ones in your first board. They look so much more expensive then they were. I also like the way it doesn't block my site line. The down side they do get dusty and need to be wiped out, but I think my house is dustier than most for some reason. I really do like the one you have hanging now. I think the space will be warmed up a bit too once you have a valance up which will help break it up. It all looks so amazing!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anne - call me crazy, but I love the fixture you said you weren't brave enough to try. I'm partial to a more airy look in a small space (since they will be such a centerpiece), rather than a solid finish. But I know anything you choose will be beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love the magical pendant from urban outfitters! depending on what our future kitchen looks like i would love it for myself and also think it would look good in your kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What about keeping what you have up and spray painting them to look like brass? I want to try this myself so maybe you can be the guinea pig. :) also I think cafe curtains would be so cute above your sink.

    ReplyDelete